Tuesday, November 25, 2014

"Old Pan" goes to Berlin


Even as a person who comes from a large city (Toronto) and still lives in a fairly big one (Hamburg), I find Berlin to be somewhat daunting. It’s not spotless or beautiful. It lacks tall buildings to lend a skyline or easy points of reference for orientation. It’s got a train map with so many lines it looks like the veins on my grandmother’s legs and the construction going on is so profound that it’s really hard to imagine what anything looks like without pylons, cranes and scaffolding everywhere.

I think anyone will agree with me though, when I say that what Berlin lacks in superficial grace is made up for in history and soul…. Oh, and street art! 


I have a friend here in Germany who recently took a job and a furnished apartment in the heart of Berlin. Last weekend I decided to take a train to visit her. Berlin can be reached from Hamburg in less than two hours via Deutsche Bahn’s ICE (inter-city express) trains. I scored an awesome deal and paid just 25€ each way, but apparently last-minute offerings of around 27-29€ are not uncommon. Despite their relatively close proximity to one-another (close at least in the mind of a Canadian), Hamburg and Berlin could hardly be more different.
The faces in Berlin are a bit more colorful, the gypsy population a bit more visible, the clothes a bit funkier and English can be heard more frequently on the streets.  

If Hamburg is a city of classic homogeneity, Berlin is one of juxtaposition and funky-mod chaos.

Everything I ate in Berlin was reasonably priced or even cheap in comparison with other German cities I’ve visited. The large number of immigrants means more variety. I found the cocktails to be delicious everywhere and naturally we went to see the typical tourist draws like the Brandenburg Gate and the Dom (big church). If you’re planning to visit, make sure you also check out the East Side Gallery, which is where about a kilometer of the mural-bedecked Berlin wall has been left standing. There are several areas in the city where, on the weekend, little flea markets pop up and you can get some crazy things from the past (like wartime documents, passports, photographs and old money), original art and vintage clothing and jewelry… all for a steal.

In the evening I would recommend heading to Ostkreuz, which is another transit hub in East Berlin (the formerly Soviet-controlled area). Here you’ll find a lot of great cocktail bars with a mature-but-not-too-old clientele and a mildly hipster vibe. Again, tasty food is in no short supply. We found an Italian place in this district where meals for 2 people, plus a salad to share and two beers cost €14 (CAN $19.50).

If you feel like taking the party up a notch after bouncing through the Ostrkreuz cocktail bar area, head on over to Ritter Butzke

One of Berlin’s more well-known night clubs, this place opens at midnight – which I think is good indication of the type of party you’ll find here. Three rooms play different varieties of house music and all three have great atmospheres. Germans tend to like really minimal house (no build, no drop, just monotonous beats and the occasional random vocal sample), which is played in the largest room. I don’t like it much but that’s just my preference. I found the music in the other two rooms just fine.
A lot of people in here are on drugs and are chewing madly on nothing, but after my many years of raving in Toronto that doesn’t frighten me… and it shouldn’t frighten you either. People on ecstasy or MDMA are always friendlier than sober or just drunk people. We met some really nice Swiss guys who bought us several rounds of drinks (something rare in Germany) and I was hit on by a 22 year-old who, after asking my age, quoted an old German saying that goes:

“If you want to learn how to cook, you need to use an old pan.”


I didn’t teach him how to cook that night, but I had a great time in Berlin and I’ll be going back soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment